The American Hellenic Council Supports:
- Freedom and sovereignty for the Republic of Cyprus and the immediate removal of Turkish occupation troops as well as mplementation of conditions on all military and economic aid to Turkey and economic sanctions against Turkey until it removes its troops and colonists from Cyprus and complies with United States, United Nations, and international law
- Implementing structural reforms in the political and bereaucratic system in Greece in order to bolster its economy, spur growth, enhance competitiveness and eliminate corruption.
- The security of Greece’s sovereign rights in the Aegean including natural resource exploration rights within its Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and creating awareness of Turkish violations of Greece’s airspace and territorial waters.
- Religious Rights and Freedoms for the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Greek minority in Turkey including the Reopening of the Halki Patriarchal School of Theology
- Finding a permanent solution on the name dispute between Greece & the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) that is acceptable to both parties and within the framework established by the Interim UN Agreement between the two countries.
- Awareness and proper recognition of the destruction of Smyrna, the murder of over 1 million Greek civilians, and the expatriation of 1.5 million Greeks by Turkey in 1922. Recognition of the Greek. Armenian, and Assyrian Genocides.
- Return of the Parthenon marbles to Greece
Informing and advocating to the US Senate
Whenever any of the aforementioned issues come before the Senate or any Senate committee, the Council will inform all Senators and/or Senate committee members of our position on these issues. After each vote, we will convey to all voting Senators our gratitude or disappointment regarding their votes.
Informing and advocating to the House of Representatives
When Hellenic issues come before the House or any relevant committee, the Council will inform all 53 U.S. Representatives from California and/or House committee members of our position on these issues. After each vote, we will convey to all voting Representatives our gratitude or disappointment regarding their votes.
We encourage all members of the Congressional delegation from California to join the Congressional Caucus on Hellenic Issues. In 1996, Representative Carolyn B. Maloney (D-NY) and former Representative Michael Bilirakis (R-FL) formed the Congressional Caucus on Hellenic Issues to foster and improve relations between the United States and Greece. Members of the Caucus introduce legislation, arrange briefings on current events, and disseminate information on topics such as U.S. aid to Greece and Cyprus, the division and ongoing occupation of Cyprus, U.S. relations with the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, the status of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, and developments in the Aegean. We are proud that 60 percent of the members of the CA Congressional delegation are currently active members of the Hellenic Caucus.
Informing and advocating to The Administration
We consistently communicate to the President and members of the administration our concerns on issues of interest to Hellenism.
Congressional District Committees
The Council has successfully organized the thirty-one congressional districts of Southern California and is expanding its advocacy activities to the northern part of the state. We urge our members and friends to become active in the promotion and support of these committees. Through the AHC’s Congressional District Committees, our community has reached out to our Representatives and Senators through meetings, written correspondence, telephone calls, and emails to communicate the importance of Hellenic issues and ask for support when these issues come for a vote as bills or resolutions before Congress.